Thursday, March 4, 2010

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time!
Friedrich Nietzsche


It's been two weeks since my last entry. Followers have been hounding me - wondering what's going on! It's not like I forgot. It's more like Elvis who sang that rather confusing number years ago (can't remember when)..."I Forgot To Remember To Forget".

What I have forgotten is 'stuff'. When we started this blog back in October there was lots of 'stuff'. Thirty years of 'stuff'! But the bottom of the well is in sight. Day to day we're good...but even that has become 'normal'.


So we rely on memories. And when these 'magic moments' surface, you'll hear about them - right here! So stay tuned...check in periodically...the Scorekeeper is alive and well! (Right now he's glued to the TV...it's trade day in the NHL...his pencils are sharp...his notebooks at the ready...he's in the zone!).

"It is singular how soon we lose the impression of what ceases to be constantly before us. A year impairs - a luster obliterates. There is little distinct left without an effort of memory. Then indeed the lights are rekindled for a moment. But who can be sure that the imagination is not the torch-bearer?" Lord Byron

"God gave us memories that we might have roses in December." J.M. Barrie

Memory is what tells a man that his wife's birthday...was yesterday!

Guy gets invited to some older friends' home for dinner. As the evening went on, he noticed his buddy preceded each request to his wife with endearing terms, calling her Honey, My Love, Darling, Sweetheart, etc. At one point, while the wife was in the kitchen, he commented, "I think it's wonderful that after 60 years of marriage you still refer to your wife in these glowing terms."
His buddy hung his head. "To tell you the truth," he said, "I forgot her name about 10 years ago!"


Philip has an incredible memory. Remembers events like they were yesterday...in detail. Last week we were at the dinner table...had just finished a great meal...were sipping the last of a fine bottle of Canadian Sauvignon Blanc (that's white wine for you beer drinkers)...and were lingering in the 'magic of the moment'. The three of us were reminiscing.

At one point in our trip down memory lane I asked Philip if he missed any of his old friends from Ontario. He sadly said yes. He then went on to remind us of a young lad who lived several blocks away... he had played road hockey with him for years. After telling us his name, Philip informed us that his house number had been 93. We were amazed that after 7 years away he still remembered that. We affirmed our pleasure regarding his excellent memory...then asked him how come he remembered that house number so clearly. Without hesitation, Philip reminded us that that had been Doug Gilmour's number (93) when he played for the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1992 to 1997...after which he was traded to the New Jersey Devils.

Philip's a Detroit Red Wings fan through and through. He has no right recalling a Leaf player's number...after 15 years...but he does! Hmmm!

During the Olympics Philip and I got caught up in the excitement of Team Canada's drive for gold. Now I enjoy hockey, but know very little in the way of players, coaches, standings, stats, etc. I seldom watch a game from beginning to end. Neither does Philip. He's purely a stats man!

I kept hearing the name 'Heatley' during the Canadian games, so asked Philip what NHL team he played for. In a split second I got the answer...and more. "You mean Dany Heatley?" he asked. "Yes," I replied. "He's with the San Jose Sharks," he informed me. "Thanks," I said, quite content with that info. But Philip wasn't finished! "Before that he played for the Ottawa Senators...and before that he was in Atlanta. He's very good. He was in a car accident, you know."

I didn't! And why does he? Why?




Eric Staal (Team Canada) had a good Olympics as well. His name was familiar...but that was it. Called Philip out of his room where he was 'busy'. He begrudgingly came out (I was interrupting his 'busy' schedule) and very politely (tsk- tsk) asked, "What?"

"Who does Staal play for?"
"Give me a second," he replied.
I then witnessed his computer brain kick into action. He stood motionless, eyes rolled back into their sockets (he was searching) and in less than 3 seconds he informed me that he was a forward with the Carolina Hurricanes.

I was satisfied. Philip wasn't. His memory chip had been activated. "Staal led Carolina to the Stanley Cup in 2006, you know. And did you know, dad, he was born in Thunder Bay!"

No I didn't! Why did he?


Diane and I will be watching a movie. An actor we recognize, but can't place, appears on the screen. We look at each other (not that googly-eyed..'I need you-I want you..I have to have you!' look we used to have when we were young, and foolish, and in love - but rather that, "hey, who is that...what?...you don't know?...thought you knew everything?"-look!)

Anyway, we look at each other, and in unison we shout,"Philip!"

A simple glance at the actor and Philip not only tells us his name, but 5 other movies he's performed in over the years...and who starred with him!

Why...why...why?



Showed Philip a picture of Albert Einstein.

"Who's this?"
"Don't know...don't care!" he replied. Then returned to his room...mumbling and grumbling...and clearly annoyed.

Why?

Apparently the Scorekeeper's got his priorities straight.

That's why! And don't you forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment